General information and history
The mission statement of Zoo Osijek is part of the central Guidelines of Zoo Biology. Every member of staff will follow it and represent it towards visitors and the public. Staff is aware of the following facts:
- Zoo is a location for recreation
- Zoo is a location for education
- Zoo is a location for research
- Zoo is a location for species protection activities
In Zoo Osijek according to Master Plan and Animal Collection Plan the main streams in information are: Evolution of animal and animal societies and the comparison of development of animal societies in tropical and subtropical grasslands in the different continents both in historical and evolutionary context.
In consequence no species which do not fulfill those two mainstream directions and the masterplan will be presented in Zoo Osijek. The mainstream directions influence the educational activities especially but not exclusively zoo school, zoo information system (intern and external), and media presence of Zoo Osijek.
Mission statement of the fundamental issue of Master and Animal Collection Plan.
History of the Zoological Garden in Osijek
On January 24, 1955, based on the efforts of the Society for the Establishment and Development of the Zoo, Supervisory Board of the City of Osijek passed the Decision on establishing the ZOOLOGICAL GARDEN OF THE CITY OF OSIJEK with residence in Osijek – Tvrđavica.
The newly established institution was entered in the Register of self-financing institutions on November 10, 1955, based on the Decision of the People's Committee of the Gornji Grad Municipality of Osijek. The institution was managed by the Supervisory Board as a collective managing body whose members were appointed each year by the Department of Municipal Affairs of the City of Osijek. Members of the first Supervisory Board were Nikola Borojević, Zvonko Gregorić, Tihomir Krstić, Petar Šum, Josip Prpić, Vinko Žiroš, Žiga Sudar, Aco Janošević and Zvonimir Horvat. The first manager, later director was Ivan Bulant, technical manager was Nikola Borojević, and Vjekoslav Furman was the bookkeeper.
At that time assets of the Zoo consisted of land (fields, pasture and woods), buildings (administration building and animal quarters), two rafts (one in Gornji grad, and one in Donji grad), motorboat "Golub", two cart horses with carts and the animal park.
The newly established Zoo included a wide variety of tasks with an emphasis on educational and entertainment purposes:
- Acquisition , breeding and nurturing animals of domestic and foreign origin,
- Construction and maintenance of aquarium and terrarium,
- Establishment of zoological museum,
- Construction of an amusement park within the Zoo,
- Raft transporting service,
- Exchange of animals with other zoological gardens in the country and abroad,
- Continuous collaboration with other zoological gardens and scientific institutions for the purpose of scientific research of domestic and exotic fauna.
Rules of business organization of Zoological Garden of the City of Osijek from August 8, 1955 included: I. General provisions, II. Institution's assets, III. Management bodies, IV. Business organization, V. Job classification, VI. Terms of business and VII. Funds (financial). The rules clearly stated the public and educational purpose of the Zoo (Art. 2), and generally described Institution's terms of business and professional tasks (Art. 5).
From 1955 to 1962 Zoo's director was Ivan Bulant, Stanko Grozdanić from 1962 to 1965, and Rudolf Kern from 1965.
Zoological Garden of the City of Osijek operated as a self-sustaining institution until 1966, when it was merged with Municipal Company Osijek, today's Unikom.